As part of our month long vegan challenge, we’ve been trying out lots of different substitutions of our usual products, we’ve wiped our fridge of cheese, milk and eggs to replace with vegan friendly options. You can view our previous cheese tasting (here and here) to have a read of what cheeses we rated and the ones that didn’t satisfy our tastebuds so well!
One thing we can definitely say is it’s all about trial and error! We’ve found that some vegan cheeses work well in certain dishes and it’s all about a bit of experimenting! Here are some vegan cheese & onion tarts we made using two different vegan cheese products purchased from Vegusto (which we highly recommend!). If you fancy recreating these delicious cruelty free tarts then just follow this simple recipe…
6 ounces plain flour
3 ounces vegan butter (we used Pure)
Salt and Black Pepper
One large red onion
One large garlic clove
Dash of sunflower oil
Enough Vegan cheese to fill pastry cups once pre-baked – we used Vegusto No Moo Aromatic and No Moo Melty
Cherry tomatoes to garnish
- Mix salt and pepper into flour. Add butter and chop into small squares.
- Rub butter into the flour
- Add a dash of water to make into a dough
- Roll out and use to line 12 mini tartlet tins.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Prebake for 15 mins or so at 180 degrees C
- Chop the onion and garlic finely and sauté in the dash of sunflower oil until browned.
- Slice or grate the vegan cheese and fill the pre baked pastry case until 3 quarters full.
- Add a spoonful of the onion mixture on top and add a cherry tomato to garnish.
- Return to the office at 180 degrees until the cheese is fully melted and the top is nicely browned.
- Serve with a side salad and enjoy!